Learning Resource Center
For more information on our services, please contact Sara McGuire (479) 736-2221 x1111, Learning Resource Center Director.
The Learning Resource Center provides homework and tutoring assistance to students Monday through Thursday afternoon (1:55 - 3:20 pm) and Monday through Thursday evening (7:00 - 7:55 pm). The Learning Resource Center offers the following services to all Ozark Academy students:
The tutoring program provides individualized and group tutoring for students who need academic assistance outside the classroom. There will be a full-time faculty member and a math/science tutor in the evenings to help students and parents who request assistance with class work. Additional tutoring may be provided in the dorms when needed.
Students with special requirements will find a portion of the LRC has been set aside to satisfy their needs. We have the following software available to assist our students:
The Kurzweil program is the premier reading, writing, and learning software for struggling students. It provides assistance for students who learn best with audio and visual assistance. The Kurzweil program may provide the following assistance:
- Translate text to speech for students.
- Enlarge text for low vision students.
- Writing and Self-Editing Tools - As students type, the software peaks each letter or word, so they can quickly recognize and correct pelling mistakes. The Check Spelling As You Type feature underlines misspelled words in red. The audible spell checker and customizable word prediction further assist students with creating and modifying reports, essays and papers without teacher intervention.
- Independent Test Taking – With Kurzweil 3000, students can independently complete worksheets, classroom tests and standardized tests with greater confidence and fewer mistakes. Kurzweil 3000 not only reads questions and answers aloud, it allows students to type answers directly onto the image of a scanned test, thereby offering more independence for both the student and teacher.
- Scan documents into the computer for editing.
- Create an audio recording of the document.
The Write: OutLoud program is designed for struggling writers. Struggling writers typically do not write enough to effectively communicate their message. After they finish composing, their revisions and edits have little impact on the text quality. Write: OutLoud increases writing quantity and improves writing quality through purposeful supports. Students write more and self-assess their work. Purposeful revision and editing tools help students make changes and improve their writing.
The LRC also has a computer lab available for general help with writing assignments and accessing RenWeb. The computers are networked and students are able to retrieve documents that have been saved on the school network.
Students may check out library books during LRC hours; Library books must be returned before each full Monday before home leave.